When I was small,
My soul would dive among the evergreens.
And stir over the tall grasses in my father's yard.
Between the plum trees and underneath the swing.
I'd revel.
I was always caught.
Head lifted gently by the perfect sky,
Specks of gold swirling to meet my outstretched fingers.
Eyes as wide as the land.
When your biggest fears,
Are the neighbour's horses
And the older kids from down the lane
It seems much simpler,
To promise to yourself that you will never die.
...
I am a stranger to these places now.
The song of them is not clear as it once was.
No one here makes mention of these things.
Songs,
Endless seasons,
Thunderous roars,
Mystery that burn inside our veins until our bodies are returned to dust.
No.
It's all,
Fast cars,
Movie Stars,
And bills, bills, bills.
And I begin to doubt the very rising and falling of my chest.
My soul adapts and shrinks to fit the status quo
Laid flat and numbered by computer code.
I am a paper sheet, folded and stuffed - mailed out in an envelope marked,
"Special offer!" "One time only!" "Don't miss your chance to win!"
At night I wonder if the forest and the sky will still remember me,
For I have forgotten my own name.
...
The stars fade.
And the winds no longer bring their news of far off places.
...
And the deafening roar of the undeniable.
That could cut like a knife and laugh in the faces of the strongest men.
And cast them about like sands in a desert storm.
Is replaced by a dull hum.
A click. Click. Click.
TV ad for lusciously soft, sleek and silky hair.
Bloody fights inside dingy backwater bars.
Children crying for new toys, flailing wildly on cold shop floors.
Eighteen years of drinking.
Leather shoes.
Rock music.
Filing papers on a shelf.
The heart is full.
Coronary bypass.
Every detail to perfection.
Best hot show this season.
Everyone's talking about.
Car insurance.
Italian style thin-crust pizzas.
Cold fluorescent.
Sex tape scandal.
Act now, sale till Sunday only!
The heart is full.
...Of what?